14/04/2015

Oh, Finland, why?

 
Anyone who has bothered to follow me on any of my social networks will surely know that Finland is one of my favourite countries in the world. Having dreamed of going there since I was nine years old, last september I finally had the chance to visit the promised land. And, oh, I love it even more now!

I spent seven days in Finland, between the cities of Turku, Hämeenlinna and Helsinki, and I immediately fell in love with the unique landscape of this beautiful country. The photo you see above was taken from the lookout tower of Aulanko, in Hämeenlinna. The sights were breathtaking. You could even see blackers running in the forest from there, huh? No, not really.

But I'm not here just to praise the overwhelming beauty of Finland. The main reason why I'm writing this post is to talk about the one thing I hate the most about that country. That thing is called... salmiakki!

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, salmiakki is a type of liquorice, salty liquorice to be more accurate, quite popular in the Nordic countries, specially in Finland. Seriously, finns love it, and you can find pretty much everything salmiakki flavoured. Even salmiakki vodka! But, really? Why on earth would you want to put that disgusting flavour everywhere?

I had the chance to try salmiakki two years ago, when my boyfriend brought me a bag of Angry Birds gummies. I noticed that some of the candies were black, and I was wondering what flavour could they be. So, without thinking, I ate -tried to- one. Never again. It tasted so awfully, I had to take it off my mouth and throw it to the garbage bin. What a disgusting thing to eat!

I had almost forgotten that bad experience when I travelled to Finland, but then I realised that salmiakki was almost easier to find than water. It was everywhere, even mixed with chocolate desserts (then again, WHY?).

So, this text is meant to be a friendly reminder that salty liquorice is the worst thing you can find in Finland. Don't say I didn't warn you!

P.S.: Don't skip Suomenlinna if you ever have the chance to go to Helsinki. Please, DON'T. Otherwise, I'll shoot you, ha!



No comments:

Post a Comment